Live Theme Previews / Customize Current Theme
Gone are the days of rushing to update your header, background, and the like as soon as you activate a new theme. You can now customize these options before activating a new theme. Also satisfy your curiosity and try on a fresh coat of paint — you can also use the live preview mode to customize your current theme. Look for the Customize link on the Themes screen.
Flexible Sizes - You can decide for yourself how tall or wide your custom header image should be. From now on, themes will provide a recommended image size for custom headers rather than a fixed requirement.
Choose from Media Library
Tired of re-uploading the same custom header image every time you check out a new theme? Now you can choose header images from your media library for easier customization.
Twitter & Website Embeds
You can now embed individual tweets in posts. It includes action links that allow readers to reply to, retweet, and favorite the tweet without leaving your site. Just paste a tweet URL on its own line.
This works with URLs from some other sites, too. Give it a try!
Basic HTML support has been added to the caption field in the image uploader. This allows you to add links — great for photo credits or licensing details — and basic formatting such as bold and italicized text.
For the techies the under the hood changes
- Post queries have been optimized to improve performance, especially for sites with large databases.
- The number of strings loaded on the front end was greatly reduced, resulting in faster front page load times for localized installations. Also, better support for East Asian languages, right-to-left languages, theme translations, and more.
- Themes are faster, uses les memory, makes use of persistent caching.
- Custom header and background API relocated into the theme support API.
- jQuery, jQuery UI, TinyMCE, updated and jQuery UI Touch Punch was introduced.